8 Ways to Motivate Yourself
It’s 1:00pm. Your energy is low. Thought processes stop mid-stream. You know what needs to get done, but your body is resisting it.
Following these 5 easy steps will pump up that motivation and get you to where you need to be in order to conquer the world, ok, maybe not the world, but at least the tasks and goals you’re desperate to complete.
- Create a Routine – first and foremost, an essential part of remaining motivated is to create yourself a schedule/routine, whether it be for studying, blogging, or going to the gym, it’s important to make sure that you have a set time-frame to allow you to approach your goals sensibly. I more than anyone could not remain motivated without my current routine, and I know that I am not alone in this.
- Seek Inspiration – whenever I’m lacking motivation it’s usually because I have zero inspiration, and although I’m rarely lacking inspiration for my blog, I sometimes need it for other aspects of my life such as my fitness regime, my diet, my work life, sometimes we all just need a burst of motivation; Pinterest and Weheartit is what does it for me, both sites are full of beautiful images, poetry, and quotes, etc, and it really is a great motivation tool – you’ll be sure to come away generating 100000 ideas a minute.
- Remind Yourself Why You Started – it can sometimes be hard to find motivation if you find yourself forgetting why you started something in the first place, whether it be a project at work or something in your personal life, it’s essential for you to stop for a moment and remind yourself where you hoped it would take you, and just try your hardest to implement a new strategy, but focus focus focus on where you hope this project is going to lead, and then make it happen. E.g. Want to lose weight but lacking the motivation to put down that cookie for that piece of Broccoli? Remember why you decided to lose weight in the first place, and I promise you, a burst of motivation will appear.
- Take a Break – sometimes overworking ourselves is the biggest de-motivator, just stop, take a deep breath, go make yourself some tea, grab a KitKat, and take a damn break for once – it’s scientifically proven that the brain can only focus on one thing for 15 minutes at a time before we start getting restless and our minds start to wander. I highly recommend you taking a 15 minute break every hour or so, so work for 45 minutes, take a break, work for another 45 minutes, and so on, it really will help you, a lot.
- Set Smaller Goals – by setting smaller goals you are less likely to become overwhelmed (which is a huge motivation killer in itself). It also helps to reward yourself when you reach each of these goals, thus motivating you to complete more of them, making the end goal a lot easier to reach. It’s hard to maintain motivation for a single goal for such a long time. The solution? Set smaller goals along the way.
- Eat Some Chocolate – not only is it delicious, but studies also show that chocolate triggers a release of dopamine, which will elevate your heart rate and significantly increase motivation, white chocolate does so even more intensely. It also increases serotonin, a neurotransmitter that acts as an antidepressant which promotes calm, thus helping motivate you and keep you happy.
- Think Positively – sometimes when I’m feeling a little demotivated, I’ll have a whinge and a whine and complain that I can’t do it and my optimist boyfriend will come back with, “well not with that attitude you can’t” and it ALWAYS puts things in to perspective for me… positive thinking is key. If you believe you can do something, you’re like 95% more successful in completing it, true story.
- Tidy Your Workspace – I wasn’t going to include this one but a tidy workspace really does create a tidy mind, and it’s so much easier to find motivation when clutter isn’t clouding your mind.
Do you have any tips and tricks that allow you to keep yourself motivated? Let me know in the comments.
Like this post? Why not follow me on Bloglovin’ and keep up to date with all of my latest ramblings… here!
August 09, 2016
April 17, 2016
April 15, 2016